Patient Forum

Print 
CK surgery possible for Malignant Neoplasm of Maxillary Sinus ?
The Wife
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 8:26 AM

I do not have the name of the cancer but it is aggressive & continues to grow.  It was found during surgery to remove (what was originally thought to be) an infection in the maxillary sinus cavity.  A biopsy revealed the cancer & the fact that it has already destroyed most of the lower, some of the side, & some of the middle facial scull bone plus the eye socket & is now in the eye area but is unknown if it has spread to the 'fat' area of the eye.

Surgery recommended is radical, going thru the upper lip area & basically opening up the entire rt side of the face so that the cancer can be removed in one, whole piece.  Next, they will try to save the eye, also building a sling to contain the eyeball in it's socket.  This is to be followed by several radiation txs. 

Is the cancer too large for cyberknife surgery, too close to the eye or a possibility we can look into.  Obviously we don't have a lot of time.

Thank you to any physicians who can help us with our decision to seek a second opinion.

radsrus
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 3:35 PM

This is a complicated problem, and we cannot give any final advice here because of that. BUt in general, maxillary sinus tumor are squamous cell cancers and are best treated with conventional radiation and surgery, plus or minus chemotherapy. CK might be useful if any tumor remains after that.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

The Wife
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 9:23 AM

Understood.  We didn't think so but we ask all the questions just in case....

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. 

The Wife
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:08 AM

Several modalities participated in this patient's surgery.  It did have to be done by 'conventional' means at Shands hosp in Gainesville, FL.  I use the word 'conventional' lightly because I feel more like i'm in the middle of a science fiction movie.  Good luck to all of you however you are able to have your cancer treated & may you be blessed with the same high caliber docs we were.
radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:38 PM

And  will any further treatment be needed?

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...