Patient Forum

Print 
Sarcoma's attached to and invading the Heart
Bernie
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:16 PM

Can the Cyberknife be helpful for patients with this condition>
radsrus
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 3:17 AM

Tumors attached to the heart present special challenges. We have treated tumors attached to the heart, but there are compromises usually required, and I don't think we would ever consider the treatment curative. In some cases, it can be useful to buy time or stop certain symptoms. Let the nearest Ck center take a look at the scans.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

mss
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:02 PM

I am also interested in information regarding sarcoma and the heart. My brother-in-law has a stage IV pleomorphic sarcoma about 11cm (size of a grapefruit) that is located on the left atrium and the aortic arch. It has begun to invade one of the main arteries into the heart, which we are told is one of the main reasons that surgery is not an option. He has undergone AIM (no effect), gem/tax..20+% initial shrinkage/then regrowth, and now is about to begin dacharbazine. Dx on Xmas Eve..52yrs young, great shape and attitude, still working full time and working out 3x's/wk. Any chance that cyberknife might be used in this location? We have also been told radiation isn't possible in this location.  Thank you for your help,

MSS

MSS
Dr. J
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:00 AM

I have not personally treated any such cases but I would recommend having a CK facility near you review the films.  He may be a candidate for treatment, at least for palliation. Dr. Medbery?

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
CyberKnife Center of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

radsrus
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:26 AM

I think there would be substantial risks involved, but that might be treatable. I would consider it likely to be purely palliative, since I think it is unlikely that targeting problems and the size of the tumor will allow ultimate control.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

mss
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:05 PM

If it were you, is there any one location that you would feel has more experience in this area than others? I realize that the location/size are rare, but wondered if there are some doctors/locations geared more to this area or more likely to be willing to consider treatment on/around the heart?  Has the cyberknife ever been used on tumors on the heart/aorta? (We will travel anywhere.)

Thank you again,

MSS

MSS
radsrus
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:02 AM

We have en experience of one, and I suspect we are more experienced than most. What I mean is that no one has any significant experience with this sort of tumor. I think it is more a question of who is willing to try it. We would, but there may be other centers that are more easily accessible to you. You need to contact the center of your choice directly and let them direct you as to how to get it treated.

(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jump to different Forum...